Monday 17 June 2013

new beginnings & nineteen years

Today is the day . . . the day of my first tea-in -tangiers musings, and it is also the day, nineteen years ago, on a beach in Madagascar, that was our wedding day  - an auspicious date I decided, and one clearly suited to longevity and success.

If you want to read a little more about why Tangiers, flick across to here.
But for now, I am going to use this blog to share the sights & sounds, the people & places of the area and countryside around Tangiers, and Assilah in particular - and I might well fling in a few other ruminations and destinations that this life might lead to.

 I am planning to enjoy and discover a little more with each visit, until the visits hopefully get longer and turn into stays.
So join me to find good places to eat, calm places to escape to, busy places worth bargaining over, the hidden places and the open spaces of this little piece of the world right on the edge of Africa.
For this 'grand opening', I have decided to keep things short and sweet and start on a lyrical note. The music of french Moroccan artist Hindi Zahra is always on my playlist - and this song is one of my favourites because of the lyrics - imik simik - (meaning little by little in the Berber language of south western morocco) - which kind of encapsulates my journey to Tangiers.


             so, listen, enjoy 

and join me periodically on these pages

 for a little

 tea-in-tangiers  {please}

          or, as it is more likely,

        but less alliteratively, to be,

             a coffee or three.




Acoustic live by Hindi Zahra singing Imik Si Mik with her guitarist Thomas Naim, from her album called HANDMADE, released in January, 2010.

lyrics and translation from Tachelhit : 

imik si mik - Little by little

Afuss h'u fuss - Hand in hand

Wink d'winu ira n'ftu - Yours in mine, and we will go

Lih t'sfa tassa inu - When my faith is clear

Lih sfann iwalninu - When my eyes are clear

Lih toumzt afussinu - When you take my hand

Aghal awiyi dik - Just take me with you






2 comments:

  1. What a delightful blog! I look forward to following your dream little by little, perhaps per chance to join you along you way. Just reading it makes me feel a whole lot warmer than this apocalyptic weather we have been subjected to yet again. Great start. xs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks stef - see you soon in tangiers . . .

      Delete